100 Facts Astronomy includes key topics about the study and skill of astronomy in interesting numbered facts. Concise information is accompanied by amazing illustrations and photographs that put unbelievable facts into context for children. This title is a perfect introduction to astronomy books for kids aged 6-10 years.
Topics covered 100 Facts Astronomy:
- All the planets in the Solar System and their appearance.
- The vastness of our Universe and families of stars within billions of galaxies.
- Using a telescope and the first discoveries when observing space.
'I don't believe it' fascinating facts:
- Earth is speeding round the Sun at 29.8 kilometres per second - more than 100,000 kilometres an hour. That's about 100 times faster than a jet airliner!
- According to legend, Isaac Newton began to think about gravity when he saw an apple fall from a tree, and wondered why the apple fell to the ground instead of floating up.
- The Liverpool telescope on the island of La Palma in the Atlantic Ocean is able to automatically observe a list of objects sent to it via the Internet.
Activities to make learning accessible and interactive:
- Make a sundial using a short stick, modelling clay, card and a pencil.
- Quiz question: When was Hailey's Comet last seen?
- Draw an eclipse with drawing pins, paper, card and string.