100 Facts Birds book for kids covers key bird facts in straightforward numbered paragraphs. Every page features detailed illustrations and photographs that bring the text to life for kids aged 6-10 years.
Topics covered in 100 Facts Birds:
- The purpose of making a nest and laying eggs.
- Features that help birds to catch prey.
- Why birds stay in numbers and migrate to warmer climates.
'I don't believe it' fascinating facts:
- Water birds called great crested grebes perform a courtship dance together. During the dance they offer each other gifts, beakfuls of water weed!
- Migrating birds can use landmarks, the position of the Sun when it sets and even Earth's magnetic field to help them to navigate.
- The lammergeyer vulture drops bones onto rocks to smash them. It then eats the soft marrow and even splinters of bone.
Activities to make learning accessible and interactive:
- Quiz question: How many types of bird are there?
- Make a bird feeder using nuts, seeds and fat.
- Quiz question: Why do penguins have a layer of fat underneath their skin?